Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The sweet, slow, silent passage of time. Or, Still Life With Candle


The candle beside my bed was hissing and sputtering. Something must have fallen into the wax and it was sending up little sparks. It was eleven forty-eight. I had just popped a piriton and was smoking. The nicotine and the antihistamine had found each other and blended in my blood, my narcotic intravenous lullaby. In a few minutes I would slip softly into the thirty-fourth year of my life. I blew out the candle so that I could fall asleep in silence. Happy birthday, loser.

(Photo from SridharanVenkat at Flickr)

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

I'll scratch the loser part.
Happy birthday! :-)

11:06 AM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!
Princess stole my sox!!!

5:00 PM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

and...there is nothing "loserish " about this post!
Birthdays have a way of causing very strict self-evaluation, dont believe them, those birthday ghosts.
Tell them you rock, because I said so, and because you really do.

5:03 PM  
Blogger jny23 said...

happy birthday dude.
Yu share it with ma' lil sister.

And what a way to go to sleep. Nicotine and piriton. Shd try it one day.

11:54 PM  
Blogger lulu said...

ive read EVERYTHING O on this page...my god! tyuo are so... so... so... i donno.... (no words) i will add you to my blog roll, lol!

3:12 AM  
Blogger islander said...

birthdays have away of sharpening awareness of how far we are from where we suppose we ought to be....but i dont think a looser ould write like you do.

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home