Friday, September 18, 2009

Things

In those days we made a lot of impulse purchases. In clothing stores and electronic goods shops. New things made us feel good... The idea, perhaps, was that bringing something fresh and shiny and perfect and clean into our lives would banish the gathering sense of its staleness. I could not be old with so many new things around me.

But like all addictions it eventually lost its efficacy. And we were just doing it even though it no longer worked. The new MP3 players kept playing the same old songs. The new shoes took us along the same old routes and then brought us back as tired as always. And no matter what sunglasses I wore, they saw the same thing.

So I became sceptical of spending. Long losing bouts with being broke galvanised this, but even when I had money again, I was reluctant to let it go. I was no longer ready to let it chase the vain hope of my reinvigoration. I wanted to horde it, keep it close, to save it and wait for that one perfect commodity to show up in the mall. Shiny, gleaming, plastic-wrapped, seductive and ready. I wanted to make sure I would have enough money to buy it.

But that was as vain as spending. Because no one was ever going to stock what I wanted. We all know money can’t buy it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Misstarii said...

Well written. I love it. First time here,i'l b back

9:06 AM  
Blogger ~ScotchBiscuits~ said...

beautiful...and true. and yet I still indulge in retail therapy. I know all these shopping bags will not change my reality, but they somehow make it more livable.
yes, it is the futile pursuit of material satisfaction.

8:00 AM  
Blogger L.A. Lutara said...

dare i say it? might it be? could you be looking for love...?
loved it...something everyone can identify with. if its not shopping its booze. if its not booze its sex. if its not sex its food...its always something...

5:42 AM  
Blogger lulu said...

cant buy what? i am thinking of all the things money cant buy... love it!

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home